[Warning: HUGE Spoilers Below]
Even though I tried to lower my expectations, they were still pretty high before I watched this episode. Luckily, they were surpassed. Others will disagree with me, some will agree, and more than a few people will be thinking “I don’t care. What’s Doctor Who?”
Because I’m too lazy to come up with an actual review, here’s all the positives I thought of the episode, and all the negatives.
- Billie Piper was terrific. I didn’t want her to return because I felt like Rose had com back too many times. I think series four would have been a lot better if Rose hadn’t been there. But luckily, Piper wasn’t playing Rose! She was playing a much better character/plot device.
- All the Doctors were exceptional.
- Peter Capaldi and Tom Baker made a cameo!
- I liked the Zygons, and the paintings, and how it tied into John Hurt’s decision to press the button or not.
- The squabbling between the Doctors was well done. That’s some nice protagonist vs protagonist conflict right there.
- The humor was great, and perfectly balanced between the darker parts of the episode. Did anyone else find that unlocked door part hilarious?
The Bad (Mostly Nitpicks):
- The opening scene was funny and all, but seriously, why didn’t anyone knock on the Tardis door just to make sure no one was in there? That would be the first thing I would do if I was in charge of Unit. And even if they didn’t, they only got lifted up about a minute after Clara drove into the Tardis. Assuming it takes at least thirty seconds for the helicopter to successfully grab onto the Tardis, the people in the helicopter should definitely have seen Clara drive in.
- The ninth (tenth?) Doctor wasn’t in the episode. I can’t blame the show for this since Eccleston simply didn’t want to be a part of it for some reason. It’s a real shame because it would have been nice to see his regeneration,
- I’m a little confused as to how the Zygon story-line ended. Are they all still sitting around in that room?
- How exactly did they get out of the Doctor’s time-stream in The Name of the Doctor? Did he just walk out of it the same way he walked in? If so, why couldn’t Clara just do that?
- As much as I like Murray Gold’s score, there were a couple times where it seemed overused, or not appropriate for what was going on.
- I wasn’t in it.
- Matt Smith is leaving in the next episode, and that sucks.
Overall Rating: 9/10.
So what did you guys think? Did you like it? Did you not like it? Are you not sure what Doctor Who even is? Comment below. (Or not. It’s not like I could make you do anything.”